Reading glasses are very cheaply and easily available at your neighborhood drug store or grocery. But are those the best choice for you?
A great solution to a common problem mostly for those just hitting the forty-something age range are "Readers " or "Reading Glasses".
At some time around this age some may find that their arms are too short, or that somehow the writing on everything you read has somehow gotten smaller?
At which point one can very easily go to the local drug store or on the internet and pick up a pair (or more)of readymade reading glasses. Many colors, styles and shapes are offered for a very reasonable, well actually, cheap price.
What could possibly be wrong with this? Cost effective and convenient... You can buy a pair for every room! Right?
Well consider these factors:
- Without a visit to an eye doctor (Ophthalmologist or an Optometrist) you would not and could not know if there are other symptoms or if the cause for your need of eye sight correction is actually presbyopia. Blurry vision could be a sign of serious eye problems or eye diseases. Not to mention many other major diseases, such as diabetes can be spotted during an eye exam. So our first advice is to a least once every couple of years (or as often as your particular need maybe) visit an eye care professional!
· If you have astigmatism, your prescription readers can correct the astigmatism, but not the store bought readers. Almost everyone has a small degree of astigmatism; your doctor will determine what is right for you. Prescription lenses can correct this giving you clearer and sharper vision. The drug store readers cannot provide this and may be the cause for headaches, your vision that might be "off" or tiredness.
Advantages of custom reading glasses
- Prescription lenses are ground by the lab to order, whereas, off-the-counter readers may have bubbles, waves or out unwanted defects. If getting good quality lenses in your readers is important to you then finding a prescription eyeglasses store will be the best solution
- The power of correction needed in the two eyes may be different. Over the counter readers typically come with the same power in both eyes. So to get the readers more customized to your specific needs you will need to order custom reading glasses
- BUT, if your eyes would be fine with the over the counter glasses your doctor will let you know. Discussing this with the doctor can save you untold complications and comfort concerning the health of your eyes. The few extra dollars you spend to get the right glasses could be a blessing in the long run.
Readers are not adequate for computer reading, in that blurry vision may continue; (Reading glasses are for reading or focus at a distance of 12" or closer)
You may find that you compensate for the lack of vision by moving your head just right...this may then result in neck cramps and problems with the musculature. Discuss your particular scenario with your doctor – he may prescribe a different prescription for the computer.
Our prescription readers are offered custom made with the quality and detail you have come to enjoy with our glasses. ( and pretty much every pair in our collection can be made into readers)
In addition, the beauty when buying custom readers, is that if your readers work for computer reading or, you use them for reading on your phone then you can protect your eyes further by adding blue light blocking.
Further, the prices may not be drug store cheap but are quite affordable. With a little planning you can have the glasses that you need.
On average our frames are $28 add the price of lens $9.50 and shipping $6.95 --- $44.50 would be the total price of custom made readers with free anti-scratch coating, free anti-reflective coating and free UV coating all of which will only add to the comfort of your glasses.
Lastly, you can also pick any of our glasses and have them made into bifocal or even progressive reading glasses. This has been very good for some, if you have trouble seeing your food, or the digits on your phone, if you are in a profession where you are constantly looking close then far (a teacher let’s say) these will work well. This option means having clear non-prescription on the top part of your lenses and the magnifying portion on the lower part of your lens (for more read "A Bit About Bifocal Lenses")
For bifocal readers #2 is the placement for the readers
and #1 would be clear (no prescription)
- Readers can be easily customized and made to full-fill you particular needs
- Prescription readers are made with prescription quality lenses
- You can add blue light blocking to protect your eyes from the artificial blue light from your phone or computer
- It only takes 7-14 working days and you’ll have a new pair delivered to your home
We just want you to see well!
Our customer's service is but a phone call/email away, we are standing by to assist you in every way. We will match any price for the same quality glasses.
As always if you need our help we are but a call away at 866 217-5878, 9 a.m.–7 p.m. PT daily or Text 213 769-8009 or emailing us
SHOP FOR YOUR NEW GLASSES NOW